The new school year is upon us, summer is hopefully/finally on its way out (sorry, Lana), our favorite and soon-to-be favorite TV shows are just on the horizon – but most importantly, Can*Con is less than a week away. After months and months of work with my Programming peeps Derek Kunsken and Evan May, and the Corporate powerhouse that is Marie Bilodeau and Nicole Lavigne, we’re finally ready for the fucking thing. Mostly. For now.
Getting to help plan Can*Con has been a blast, as I discussed on Black Gate one or two weeks ago (I lose all track of my days when I’m not teaching) and being involved in the process has only made me more excited than previous years. If you’ll be making it out this year – which you’d damn well better be – here’s where you can find me on the schedule:
Friday, September 9th
- 7:00-7:55 pm: So This is Your First Con – what should you do and not do at a con, and what are the panelists’ best, worst and most ridiculous experiences at past cons? With Matt Moore, Ryan T. McFadden and Lisa Toohey, with me as moderator
Saturday, September 10th
- 11:00-11:55 am: The Works of Tanya Huff – discussing the influence and impact of our Author Guest of Honor with Violette Malan and Bronwyn Bjorkman, moderated by Derek Newman-Stille
- 3:00-3:55 pm: Stormtalons Closed World-building Session – If you’re a fellow Stormtalons author, see you there!
- 4:00-4:55 pm: Pre-Launch Reading for the 2017 Young Explorer’s Adventure Guide, featuring Science Guest of Honor Eric Choi, Rati Mehrotra, Angeline Woon and myself
- 7:00-7:55 pm: Dusting off my theater gloves for a play reading from Prisoner of Zelda by Hayden Trenholm, alongside Geoff Gander and Agnes Cadieux
Sunday, September 11th
- 11:00-11:55 am: Evan May and I will be in the Guildhall con suite to chat with anyone who’s interested in being on panels, readings, etc, next year. Please don’t hesitate to come see us, and bring me a tea, since I probably stayed up until 4 am or something the night before. Any black tea, one sugar/one milk. We won’t call it a bribe.
You can check out the full schedule here to start planning your weekend. I’ll be wandering around all weekend and am happy to answer questions and suggest panels or readings – and I’ll also be one of the con’s “Boss Monsters,” if you think you can beat me. Details on that will be available soon.
I’ll also be appearing on Click Here with Mitchell Caplan on Wednesday sometime between 5 and 6 pm, with fellow Can*Con minion Nicole Lavigne. You can livestream it with the CHUO website.
Hope to see you at Can*Con!