Gobble gobble, fellow writers!
The title of this post should probably read: “This is Where I’ll Be When I’m Not Running Around Helping with Con Business, or Grabbing a Drink in the Bar.” Obviously that blows brevity right out of the water, regardless of how true it is. After months of planning by Can*Con’s planning committee, the event is less than a week away, and once again I find myself both excited and exhausted now that we’ve made it to this point. But mostly the former. Can*Con started for me as a place to learn and become a professional writer, and now it’s a place where I still get to learn, but also hang out and catch up with some of my favorite people. Hopefully you all feel the same way!
Below is my official schedule for this year’s Can*Con:
- 11 am: Black Gate Interviews Steven Erikson – I’m still a little giddy about this, but I have the honor of sitting down for a live interview with GoH Steven Erikson, in my role as a reviewer for BlackGate.com. His Malazan Book of the Fallen series was a favorite of mine in university and one of my early inspirations when I was breaking in as an author, so it’s difficult to really articulate how excited I am to be doing this. We’ll be exploring some deep and critical aspects of Mr. Erikson’s work – you don’t want to miss it!
- 3 pm: 49th Parallels Signing Session – Several contributors to Bundoran’s newest anthology will be in the dealer’s room to sign copies. If you’re a fan of Canadian alternate history, please come and say hi!
- 5 pm: On Spec Magazine: 25 Years of Canadian SFF – In addition to managing editor Diane Walton, this panel features authors whose first or second short story sale was to On Spec, specifically Leah Bobet, Chadwick Ginther, Susan Forest and myself, moderated by fellow contibutor Hayden Trenholm. We’ll also be giving away back issues of the magazine featuring our work!
- 7 pm: Play Reading of DINKS by Hayden Trenholm – What happens when a desperate young guy rents his neighbor’s baby to survive a surprise visit from his mom? Find out in our table read of DINKS, featuring myself, Alexandra Renwick, Agnes Cadieux, Liz-Westbrook Trenholm, Matt Moore, and Hayden Trenholm.
- 9 pm: Launch of 49th Parallels – Join editor Hayden Trenholm and a bunch of contributors (including me!) as we celebrate the launch of Bundoran’s latest anthology, 49th Parallels: Canadian Alternate Histories and Futures.
- 1 pm: Interested in Being on Programming Next Year? – Fellow programming wizard Evan May and I will be around all weekend, but if you don’t get a chance to talk to us earlier, we’ll be at our table in the dealer’s room specifically to discuss programming for 2018. If you’re interested in being a panelist or have a panel to suggest, please drop by and introduce yourself!
Somehow even though I help create the schedule, I ended up with a packed Saturday… But it’ll be fun! To anyone else who’s attending Can*Con this year, I hope you’re as excited as I am. See you in a few days!